Boy Charged With Threatening Classmate
By: Mary Stanley
In what may be a case of bullying taken to the extreme, police have issued a summons to a 13-year-old boy who allegedly threatened to slice a classmate with a knife.
The juvenile is being charged with threatening to commit a crime: murder.
According to Police Chief Michael J. Miller, the 13-year-old victim’s father walked into the police station last Friday evening to report that a threat was made on his son’s life.
He told police he heard the threat when he listened in on a phone call made to his son by the 13-year-old. In the course of the conversation, the suspect told the victim he was going to “slice him like a Samurai.”
The victim, an 8th grader at the Oak Ridge School, was planning to attend Friday night’s varsity football game at the Pop Warner field when he received a text message warning him not to go to the game because there was a group of boys there who were planning to hurt him.
The victim’s father said his son received a phone call shortly after that text message, which his son placed on speakerphone for his parents to hear, during which the suspect made the threat.
Police have been interviewing several witnesses as well as five other juveniles who may have been involved in making threats against the boy.
Police are still trying to determine if anyone else may have threatened the boy and if a knife was actually brought to the football game.
“There could potentially be others who will be charged,” Chief Miller said.
According to the chief, in the course of the investigation, police also learned of other threats made to kill the victim and bury his body under the bleachers.
The victim’s father said he does not know why the boys are targeting his son. He said at one time his son was friends with some of the boys in the group. He said for the past month and a half, his son had been harassed by the boys.
According to Chief Miller, the victim told police that on one occasion, one of the boys took his hat off his head, threw it in a toilet, and urinated on it. On another occasion a stink bomb was thrown at the boy.
The victim’s father said his son has returned to school since the threats were made on Friday night and he feels confident that his son is safe there.
“The assistant principal and the superintendent have been unbelievably cooperative. I can’t say enough about the way the school is handling this,” the victim’s father said.
Chief Miller said a police officer will be meeting with school administrators to discuss this incident. He said it will be up to the school administrators to conduct their own investigation and to determine what action should be taken.
Chief Miller said the charge against the suspect is a misdemeanor and that paperwork has already been filed with the juvenile courts. He said a hearing will be scheduled with a clerk magistrate to see if there are grounds for a complaint.
15 Responses to "Boy Charged With Threatening Classmate"
Leave a Reply
In order to comment you need to be logged in.