Falmouth Man In Critical Condition Following Shooting

Five people are in custody following a major manhunt sparked by a shooting on Broken Bow Lane.

Davante Fernandes, 18, of 56 Broken Bow Lane and an unnamed 16-year-old male are the prime suspects in the shooting of 40-year-old John Williams, identified by police as Mr. Fernandes’s stepfather. They were scheduled to appear in Falmouth District Court today for arraignment: Mr. Fernandes, on charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (a gun) and assault with intent to murder; the juvenile, with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (a gun).

The suspects were held overnight on, respectively, $100,000 and $5,000 cash bail.

Chief Anthony J. Riello said during a press conference yesterday that no motive had been determined and the case remains under investigation. He said this morning that police executed search warrants at three homes last night, and officers did not recover a weapon.

“It was a very tense situation throughout the day,” the chief said, “but it was a great outcome and a great job that was accomplished by the Falmouth Police Department, along with the state police.”

The three other people arrested in connection with the crime are each facing a charge of accessory after the fact: Misty L. Baker, David A. Byron, and Tyreek Wheeler, all of Falmouth; police did not release their ages. They were also due in court today for arraignment.

Williams In Serious Condition

Mr. Williams was shot multiple times, police said, and as of this morning, he was still in serious condition at Tufts Medical Center in Boston, where he was airlifted at 4:14 PM yesterday.

Reading from an informational handout made available at yesterday’s press conference, Captain Edward A. Dunne said the incident began yesterday morning at 10:12, when police received a 911 phone call from a home on Broken Bow Lane, a dead-end road off Route 28 in Teaticket.

Capt. Dunne said the call came from someone inside the home; three other people were at the home during the alleged shooting.

Diane D. Lee of Broken Bow Lane described a chaotic scene when Falmouth police first arrived at Broken Bow Lane.

She did not hear gunshots, but knew something was wrong when police came to her door looking for someone with a medical emergency. “There were policemen banging frantically on my door,” she said. “They banged three or four times.”

At that point, police were unsure where the victim was located or if the call was a hoax, she said, until nearly 10 minutes later they located the man in his house across the street.

She saw Mr. Williams loaded onto a stretcher and taken away in an ambulance.

Search For Suspects Begins

Officers who responded to the scene learned that two male suspects, later allegedly identified as Mr. Fernandes and the juvenile, had fled the scene, which prompted a search that began in the Teaticket area.

About 20 minutes later, police located the juvenile nearby at 23 Homestead Lane and arrested him without incident.

By midday a full-scale search of the Teaticket and central Falmouth area was underway, with marked and unmarked vehicles from the Falmouth Police Department and Department of Natural Resources, Mashpee Police Department, Barnstable County Sheriff’s Department, and Massachusetts State Police sweeping the area with assistance from a state police helicopter.

At 1:05 PM the sheriff’s department set up a mobile command center outside the Broken Bow Lane crime scene, well behind a line of yellow security tape that sectioned off the street. A few residents on the crime scene-side of the border wandered out of their homes on occasion, but the street was otherwise empty of anyone not in a police uniform.

A half-hour after the command center arrived, Capt. Dunne, who was coordinating the Broken Bow Lane scene, jumped into his cruiser and sped to 77 Gifford Street, where more than two dozen police vehicles had converged for the final take-down of the remaining suspects.

Capt. Dunne said police were acting on a report of a sighting of Mr. Fernandes on Spring Bars Road around 3:15 PM, and that tip eventually led them to the Gifford Street home.

Final Arrests Made

Gifford Street was blocked off at Dillingham Avenue on one end and at Katharine Lee Bates Road at the other while the Falmouth and Upper Cape Special Response Teams, went to the site where they stormed the trash-strewn home. Mr. Fernandes, Mr. Byron, Mr. Wheeler and Ms. Baker were taken into custody without further incident.

“It’s about time,” remarked a neighbor, who did not wish to be identified. He did not say that the home had been an obvious trouble spot, but said he had “heard rumors” about possible illegal activity there.

One of the three suspects identified as accessories was a resident of the Gifford Street home, but police did not specify which one, though all five suspects were known to Falmouth police.

Stories from the Enterprise’s archives stated that Mr. Fernandes, who sometimes goes by the name “Davante Williams,” and Mr. Byron were arrested in November 2010 in connection with a stabbing on Homestead Lane. Ms. Baker was arrested in June 2011 on charges of assault and battery and threatening to commit a crime.

Special response team members went in and out of the home for several minutes, at one point letting in a dog under the control of Lieutenant Barney Murphy of the Barnstable County Sheriff’s Department’s K-9 unit. Aside from the suspects, the only thing removed from the home was a small Pomeranian.

Police cleared the scene a little after 2 PM but left a marked vehicle on-site until police could return to execute a search warrant.


No comments yet.
Please sign in and be the first one to comment.