A memorial service will be held tomorrow at Church of the Messiah, 22 Church Street, Woods Hole, for Dr. Arthur K. Parpart Jr., a former summer resident of Woods Hole. Dr. Parpart died on July 23, 2013, at the Bedford Veterans Affairs Medical Center. He was 80.
Dr. Parpart was born in Princeton, New Jersey, where he attended local public schools. He spent summers in Woods Hole as a child and young adult. He was an avid sailor, racing knockabouts out of the Woods Hole Yacht Club.
He graduated from Princeton University in 1955 and married Barbara Jane Little in 1958. Later, he completed his medical degree in neurology at the University of Pennsylvania in 1959.
As a young doctor, Dr. Parpart held internships at Rhode Island Hospital and residencies in psychiatry and neurology at the Boston Veteran’s Administration Hospital. He also worked as a staff neurologist at the Brockton VA Hospital and was an assistant in neurology at Boston University’s School of Medicine from 1963 to 1966.
Despite his opposition to the Vietnam War, Dr. Parpart served as a neurologist in the 93rd Evacuation Hospital from February 1968 to February 1969. He received the Bronze Star for meritorious service and retired from the US Army in 1975 as a Lieutenant Colonel.
After returning to civilian life, Dr. Parpart worked as a staff physician at Tewksbury State Hospital for nearly 20 years. He retired in 1989.
While at Tewksbury, Dr. Parpart also worked part time assisting Dr. Susan Black with her medical clinics in Tewksbury and Lowell. He also worked part time as a visiting physician in Massachusetts public schools and at least one penitentiary.
In addition to his former wife, he leaves his daughters, Lee Parpart and her husband, Ron Wadden, of Toronto and Laura Fernando and her husband, Alex Fernando, of Hawaii; and his granddaughters, Alexa Fernando and Bridget Wadden.
Interment will be held at the Church of the Messiah Cemetery at 3 PM, followed by the memorial service in the church. A reception will follow the service at the Fisher House, 13 Church Street, Woods Hole.