The public is invited to visit the 1678 Benjamin Nye Homestead & Museum at 85 Old County Road, East Sandwich, for free on Saturday, June 21 from 10 AM to 4 PM .
This event marks the beginning of the season for the museum and will be presented in conjunction with the 375th Sandwich anniversary celebration—1700 BASH day.
Costumed docents will be stationed throughout the museum to answer questions. Features include the exhibits “Ladies Accessories,” “Archaeology at the Nye Homestead” and “Capt. Ezra Nye.” A hearth cooking demonstration is planned, and the museum is furnished with antiques from colonial times to the Victorian period.
Next door at the 1889 Grange Hall, Judy Hendy will be offering genealogical help and advice. There will also be refreshments and sales of Nye family publications and merchandise. A continuously running slide show will present images of the Nye Homestead & Museum, Grange Hall, fish hatchery and neighborhood over the last 140 years. Visitors will also be able to view the mill pond and stream, and a recently restored marsh-edge pool and fish ladder.
The Homestead & Museum is the second home (built in 1678) of Benjamin and Katherine (Tupper) Nye, who arrived here with the first wave of settlers in 1637. Benjamin Nye was a farmer who also built the second grist mill (1669) in Sandwich, and a fulling mill. A small village, called Cedarville in the 1800s, formed around the watermills. By 1830 there was a tavern and post office, general store, grist mill, carding mill, blacksmith shop, tannery, a shoe shop and a boat shop all within a quarter-mile radius.
This summer the Homestead & Museum will be open Tuesday through Saturday until mid-October from noon to 4:30 PM. The closing event, the Autumn Gathering, will be on October 18.
The events are sponsored by the Nye Family of America Association, Inc