Bourne Canalmen Win Thanksgiving Day Prize

Chad Marsh (21) of Bourne High School fends off a Wareham defender during the annual Thanksgiving Day game.
DON PARKINSON/ENTERPRISE - Chad Marsh (21) of Bourne High School fends off a Wareham defender during the annual Thanksgiving Day game.

For the seven seniors on the Bourne High School football team, this Thanksgiving Day game was the last time they would ever play on Jackson Field for Bourne High. They wanted nothing more than to make it a day worth remembering.

They did just that as they brought back the Superintendent’s Trophy, after Wareham had won it last year. Thanks to a strong ground game, and superlative efforts at several positions, the Canalmen closed their season on a positive note, winning the annual match-up by a 22-12 score.

In the first quarter, senior Brandon Boisvert, kicked off for Bourne to start the game. Wareham returned the ball and reached their own 44-yard line. Wareham then proceeded to fumble the ball which was then recovered for Bourne by senior, Chad Marsh who took the ball and carried it to the 22-yard line. Sophomore, Tyler Rondeau, scored the first touchdown of the game. The following two-point conversion attempt by Bourne was successful, putting the Canalmen ahead 8-0.

Wareham answered Bourne’s touchdown later in the quarter after recovering a Canalmen fumble on the Bourne 13-yard line, and scoring as a result. The BHS defense denied the two-point attempt that followed, though, to protect the lead.

The second quarter started off with a pass from Rondeau to Boisvert that resulted in a huge play for BHS. Boisvert grabbed the pass and carried the ball 54-yards for the second Canalmen touchdown of the game. A pass to freshman Jake Ashworth resulted in another successful two-point conversion, which put BHS up by 10, 16-6. That is where the score stood at halftime.


Wareham started the second half by kicking off and Bourne returned the ball to their own 36-yard line. Wareham then took advantage of an unfortunate Bourne turnover. The Vikings took the ball to the end zone to chop the BHS lead down to just four points, but the Calanmen once again held strong and did not allow the two-point conversion.

Bourne was able to add a little insurance, after the defense came up with yet another big play. The Canalmen had a punt blocked on their side of the field, but the defense held strong to get the football back at their own 23. From there, the offense took care of business, marching 77-yards for the touchdown that iced the victory. Rondeau found Hite from the 18-yard line to make it a 10-point game. The Vikings denied the converstion, but Bourne held now enjoyed a 22-12 advantage.

With time beginning to wane, Wareham needed to hurry-up if they had any hope of pulling out a win. After receiving the kick and making strides towards the end zone, Wareham’s Cy Bariteau was tackled by BHS junior Travis Hydlburg, who forced a  fumble which was then recovered by sophomore Nick Pavilonis. The fumble recovery all but clinched the win, a 22-12 victory for Bourne.

The Superintendent Trophy was presented to captains, Chad Marsh and Tyler Benotti by Bourne Superintendent, Steven Lamarche. Bourne Head Coach, John McIntyre, said that it felt nice to win the Thanksgiving game. “They played together and they played tough,” said McIntyre. “Our kids came out at the second half and really played hard, like we had to.”


No comments yet.
Please sign in and be the first one to comment.