Clippers Boy's Lacrosse Nip Plymouth North, 4-1

Falmouth High School's Matt Katon lets a shot rip against Plymouth North yesterday. Katon had two goals in the game.
RICH MACLONE/ENTERPRISE - Falmouth High School's Matt Katon lets a shot rip against Plymouth North yesterday. Katon had two goals in the game.

Offensively, the Falmouth High School boys’ lacrosse team is struggling right now. Luckily for FHS, though, the team has been excelling on the defensive side of the field. Despite being held in check over the majority of the second half, Falmouth scored a 4-1 win over the visiting Plymouth North Eagles on April 17 at Fred Toran Field.

“We’re controlling the ball and the tempo nicely, but we have got to get more shots,” head coach Rory Morse said. “We’re waiting too long for things to develop, and we’re waiting for things to be too perfect. Sometimes you just have to shoot.”


Falmouth never trailed in the game, thanks in large part to a superlative job in the net by freshman goaltender George Armstrong. The rookie keeper saved 13 of the 14 Plymouth North shots that reached him in the game, showing nice stick control on a couple of shots that were labeled for the lower corners. “He’s been great,” Morse said.

Jacob Castiglioni, Ryan Rocci and Caleb Brown all put in quality efforts on the defensive side of the field as well. Brown even got in on the scoring act, popping in Falmouth’s third of the game. Castiglioni also had a nice bid to get in the book, but his shot for under the crossbar was caught.

Falmouth scored the game’s first goal midway through the first quarter after Matt White drew a penalty on North. That led to a man-up goal by Matt Katon, his first of two in the game, that saw the junior snap one in from the perimeter.

Brown made it 2-0 Falmouth with a transition goal with 6:52 left in the first half. Armstrong started the play with a save in the back end and sent it long up the left side for the senior defender. Brown caught the ball in-stride and made a beeline for the net, beating the keeper with a snap shot to the far post.

Two minutes later the Clippers went up by three on Katon’s second of the game. Once again the play started in the defensive end as Armstrong cleared it up to Cody Garcia, who moved the ball to freshman Alex Monos. Katon cut through the middle and accepted a nice feed for Manos for a snap shot.

Arlin Moore scored the lone second half goal for FHS, with a near post rip 59 seconds into the half.


No comments yet.
Please sign in and be the first one to comment.