Falmouth High School's Baseball Team Rallies To Defeat Barnstable

Ryan Johnson

Falmouth rallied from behind twice in the late innings on Friday afternoon, April 11, to score an impressive win over their rivals from Barnstable High School. With two runs in the bottom of the eighth, the Clippers upended the Red Raiders by a 7-6 score. Falmouth had trailed by two entering the bottom of the seventh, but was able to send it to extra frames. Barnstable then took the lead in the eighth, but the Clippers again came up big in the clutch.

Starting pitcher Ryan Johnson’s pop fly to center drifted toward open real estate in the bottom of the eighth to plate the tying and winning runs, with Sam Newman chugging around all the way from first base to slide in with the winner.

Nick Couhig started the game-winning rally for the Clippers by legging out a single on a grounder to short. Jack O’Rourke followed with a fielder’s choice that put Couhig at second, but also moved BHS just an out away from victory.


Representing the potential game-winning run, Newman came to the plate and wore one. The hit-by-pitch put two aboard for Johnson. The right-hander hit one high into the air and the ball drifted and drifted, toward right field. With two away, the runners were off on contact, which allowed O’Rouke to cross the plate just as the ball hit the turf, and had Newman rounding for home at the same time. Newman slid in safely ahead of the tag and the Clippers secured their biggest win of the year so far, improving their record to 2-3.

FHS had also rallied in the seventh just to get to extra innings. Johnson singled to start the rally and then Mike Couhig’s ground ball to third went through the Red Raider’s wickets and into left field to bring the tying run to the plate. With two away, Cyrus Twombly smoked one to center field for a triple that knotted things up. Falmouth nearly won it after that, but reliever Connor Walsh dove behind the mound to steal away what might have been the game-winning hit for the Clippers.

Barnstable retook the lead in the top of the eighth as the result of some poor defense. Falmouth committed two fielding errors, extending the BHS inning, and then the visitors went on top by one on a passed ball.

Johnson had a huge game on the hill for FHS. The right-hander, who was working on short rest, went the distance, allowing just three earned runs and six base hits in the game. He struck out a season-high 14 batters in the game, just a few days after striking out 10 in his previous outing.

Falmouth is back in action on Wednesday afternoon, April 16, with Marshfield coming to town for a 4 PM contest.


No comments yet.
Please sign in and be the first one to comment.