ORR Eliminates Mashpee Girls' Lacrosse Team, 12-4

Mashpee's Erica Caldwell attacks the net during Wednesday night's game against Old Rochester Regional.RICHARD MACLONE PHOTOGRAPHY - RICH MACLONE/ENTERPRISE Mashpee's Erica Caldwell attacks the net during Wednesday night's game against Old Rochester Regional.

The last day of the spring lacrosse season was a lot like the first one for the Mashpee High School girls’ lacrosse team; the Lady Falcons played against a very good opponent, and ended up on the wrong side of the ledger.

Ironically, it was warmer on April 2 than it was on May 28. Opening day saw the temperature reach a high of 50 for the Lady Falcons in their loss to Norwell High School. The night the Falcons were eliminated by the Lady Bulldogs of Old Rochester Regional, it was 47.

However, while the Falcons were colder, physically speaking, in the first round of the state tournament, they were certainly not the same team that lost to Norwell way back when. Mashpee gave ORR all it could handle for most of the game until the home team, which was seeded No. 7 in the Division 2 South field, pulled away late to make the 12-4 final score look a lot worse than it actually was.


Thanks in large part to some big saves by goalie Cassidy O’Hara, the Lady Falcons hung around most of the night and had a chance to make it close. ORR, on the strength of a four-goal performance by center Bailey Truesdale, pulled away over the final nine minutes. ORR scored four times in a seven-minute stretch to blow it open.

The home team led 6-3 at halftime after a late surge by Mashpee tightened up a game that threatened to get away from the Lady Falcons. Erica Caldwell and Katrina Parvey each scored late goals in the first half to help MHS pull back into the contest.

Over the first six minutes of the second half, it was all ORR. O’Hara made a couple of point-blank saves, but the Bulldogs were still able to pop in a pair over a 19-second span to build their lead to a more-comfortable 8-3 margin just three minutes into the period.

Mashpee simply could not get control of the ball early in the second half. ORR’s high-pressure defense, which brought constant double teams and forced the ball carriers toward the sidelines throughout the contest, was an issue all game long for MHS.

“(Mashpee) struggled with it,” Lady Falcons coach Pat Ball said. “They were very physical and we struggled with the in-your-face things. (ORR) got away with a lot of horizontal stick checking, they got called for it a lot of times, but they got away with it. They’re very aggressive, very physical … I got to hand it to them.”

For the first five minutes and 55 seconds of the half, the Lady Falcons did not get it over midfield, and had possession of the ball just twice.

Once they finally did get control of the ball, they did something with it.

Caldwell, who had two goals and an assist to lead MHS, made a brilliant pass across the goal mouth to a cutting Christina Ball for a tip shot that beat the keeper and made it a four-goal game with 18:46 left.

ORR got another goal four minutes later to make it 9-4. Mashpee then had two great chances to close the gap again, but neither panned out. A great bid by Zana Green, on a restart right in front of the cage, was stymied by the Bulldogs’ keeper. Shortly after that Sara MacRae was awarded a free shot from the right side, but her snap shot flew inches wide of the net.

“We had our chances, and took our shots, but we just couldn’t get the ball in the back of the net,” Ball said.

Just 55 seconds after the Falcons’ near-miss, the Bulldogs all but put it away with their 10th goal of the game.

ORR went on to score four times after that.


No comments yet.
Please sign in and be the first one to comment.