The Woods Hole Sea Grant program, in collaboration with the Cape Cod Cooperative Extension, is conducting a free shrink wrap recycling program across Cape Cod from April 16 through June 30.
The effort is funded by a grant from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Marine Debris Program and the National Sea Grant Program.
“The best way to help keep plastic out of the marine environment is to choose reusable boat covers or reuse your shrink wrap for two to three years,” said Sea Grant director Matt Charette, a senior scientist at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. “After that, recycling shrink wrap is the responsible thing to do. By recycling, it can be reused in a variety of products, like decking material and outdoor furniture—a real win-win proposition.”
The program requires recyclers to ensure the boat shrink wrap is clean and free of ropes, vents, strapping and any other non-shrink wrap material. Boaters need to make sure their wrap is clean of any non-shrink wrap materials (rope, zippered doors, vents, other debris) and bundled like a sleeping bag.
Instructions on how to prepare shrink wrap for recycling can be found on the Woods Hole Sea Grant website (http://seagrant.whoi.edu).
This year’s program features six dropoff locations across the Cape. The towns of Bourne, Chatham, Dennis, Eastham and Wellfleet are hosting recycling containers at their transfer stations, where boaters can bring their clean, bundled shrink wrap. Residents of Falmouth may also recycle their shrink wrap at MacDougalls’ boat yard on specified dates and hours. Dump stickers are not required to access the shrink wrap recycling containers. Visit the Woods Hole Sea Grant website, https://seagrant.whoi.edu/community-engagement/shrinkwraprecycling/, for more information.
- Bourne ISWM, 201 MacArthur Boulevard, Monday to Friday, from 7 AM to 3 PM; and Saturday, from 7 AM to noon
- Chatham Transfer Station, 97 Sam Ryder Road, Thursday to Tuesday, from 8 AM to 4 PM
- Dennis Transfer Station, 100 Theophilus F. Smith Road, Wednesday to Sunday, from 8 AM to 4 PM
- Eastham Transfer Station, 555 Old Orchard Road, Saturday to Wednesday, from 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM
- Wellfleet Transfer Station/Recycling Center, 370 Coles Neck Road Friday to Tuesday, from 8 AM to 3:30 PM.
Accessible to Falmouth residents:
- MacDougalls’ Cape Cod Marine Service, 145 Falmouth Heights Road, Falmouth, Tuesday and Thursday, from 10 AM to 1 PM