The Bourne Fire Department responded to reports of flames coming from a chimney at 24 Wallace Avenue in Buzzards Bay at just before 2 PM on Saturday, January 9.
Firefighters climbed on the roof and dropped a “bomb” of fire-extinguishing chemicals down the chimney before using a chimney chain to dislodge debris from the insides of the chute, Deputy Chief Joseph J. Carrara said Saturday afternoon.
Once the fire had been extinguished, firefighters checked the rest of the one-story ranch with a thermal imaging device to ensure that the fire had not spread to other parts of the house. They also ventilated the house to clear the lingering smoke, the deputy chief said.
There were no injuries reported for the incident, which took firefighters about an hour and 15 minutes to clear, Deputy Chief Carrara said.