Bourne firefighters responded to a fire on Shore Road caused by a fallen electrical wire Friday morning, June 21.

Bourne Fire Lieutenant Philip W. Tura said firefighters responded to the scene at 8:10 AM. A live wire had fallen in the area of 867 Shore Road, near the corner of Barlows Landing Road, and set fire to the ground and two trees. Lt. Tura said the fire happened in the midst of heavy rain.

Bourne Deputy Fire Chief Joseph J. Carrara, Jr. said the firefighters did not spray water on the fire because of the risk to firefighters from water acting as an electrical conductor. Water from the spray could cause electricity from the live wire to back up into the hose and electrocute department personnel, he said.

Firefighters monitored the scene until Eversource arrived and cut power to the line. The utility company arrived about half an hour after firefighters arrived on the scene.

A stretch of Shore Road was shut down and traffic was forced to turn around until the situation was resolved. Firefighters were on the scene for about 45 minutes, Lt. Tura said.

There was some initial concern for a nearby home, but firefighters determined that there was no extension of the fire to the structure, Dep. Chief Carrara said.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.