Heat from a metal wood stove pipe caused an attic fire at a home on Monument Neck Road.

At 5:22 PM, on Sunday, December 1, Bourne fire personnel responded to the scene of the fire at 16 Monument Neck Road. They found the fire burning in an unfinished attic. It was caused by a metal pipe that had been extended into the attic from a wood stove in the kitchen, fire officials said. The pipe had overheated.

Firefighters estimated that the fire caused $30,000 to $40,000 worth of damage to the house. It took firefighters about two hours to knock down a portion of the kitchen wall and ceiling to make sure that flames had not spread.

As of 6:50 PM on Sunday, the fire had been extinguished.

Public records show that the house is a four-bedroom home with an assessed value of $438,700.

Mutual aid was requested and provided by the fire departments from Mashpee, Onset, and Falmouth. Firefighters from those departments manned the Bourne stations while Bourne firefighters worked the house fire.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.