A gas leak at Bourne High School forced the evacuation of students and staff from the building early Monday morning, October 4. Bourne fire officials said the leak was traced to a pizza oven in the school’s kitchen.

The Bourne Fire Department responded to the scene around 6:55 AM Monday. Assistant Fire Chief David S. Pelonzi said the department received a call from a school staff member who had entered the building and immediately detected a strong odor of natural gas.

Students and staff were relocated to neighboring Bourne Middle School, Asst. Chief Pelonzi said, until the building could be rendered safe for reentry.

Asst. Chief Pelonzi said firefighters detected the odor upon entering the building but did not get any readings on their gas meters. National Grid was requested to the scene to assist and, with Bourne firefighters, were able to isolate the leak to a pizza oven in the school’s kitchen.

“We isolated the power and gas to the oven,” the assistant chief said, “shut off the gas supply and conducted natural ventilation.”

No one had to be treated at the scene or transported to a hospital as a result of the gas leak, he said. Students were allowed back into the school by 7:49 AM, he said.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.