A gas leak on the campus of Massachusetts Maritime Academy sent one student to the hospital.

The leak occurred in one of the maritime college’s dormitories on Sunday, October 18. The Bourne Fire Department was called to the scene around 8:40 PM.

Bourne Deputy Fire Chief David S. Pelonzi said the leak was found in the area of the boiler room at the dorm. The cause of the leak, Dep. Chief Pelonzi said, was unknown. National Grid was also advised of the situation and dispatched a crew to the MMA campus.

A call to National Grid for information as to the cause of the leak was not returned.

Dep. Chief Pelonzi said the sole victim was transported to Tobey Hospital in Wareham for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.