Crossing The Ball

Bourne High’s Shea Ullo crosses the ball to the front of the East Bridgewater net as the Vikings’ Matthias Floeck attempts to defend the move.

The breaks did not go in the favor of the Bourne High School boys’ soccer team on Wednesday, September 15, at BHS. The Canalmen played a very good East Bridgewater team evenly all day long, and had two chances to tie the game late, but even though the ball entered the Vikings net twice, they were not awarded a goal in the game and suffered a 1-0 loss.

Bourne had fallen behind by a goal in the 50th minute thanks to a nice play by the Vikings’ Lucas Silvia. The EB forward was able to get inside position on the Canalmen and took the ball wide to the right and slid a shot by a lunging Shane Murray for a 1-0 lead. Silvia had an opportunity a bit later to put the game out of reach when the Canalmen committed a poorly timed and placed foul inside the box that resulted in a penalty kick for the visitors, but Silvia’s shot for the left post sailed wide of the goal and Bourne dodged a major bullet.

Late in the contest, with about 12 minutes to play, the Canalmen twice appeared to tie the game, only to have their two apparent goals called off by the referees.

On the first play, a kick from the top of the zone found Quinn Moriarty in front of the goal and he was able to deflect the ball behind the goalkeeper. The Canalmen began celebrating enthusiastically, believing they’d just knotted things up, but the referee ruled the play to be offside and disallowed the goal.

Just moments later the same referee against took away an apparent goal. A corner kick from the left flag was sent to the front by BHS and looked to hit an EB defender and went into the net. Against Bourne celebrated, but they also again had the lights turned out on their party as they were cited for a handball violation. Alex Fasoli was the closest BHS player to the ball at the time of the infraction call, but was down on the turf at the time, though BHS did not argue that call quite as vociferously as they had the first.

After that the Canalmen had one more quality chance to tie the game, in the 77th minute. Shea Ullo made a strong run up the wing, took the ball deep and sent a volley across the goal mouth for Ben Hopwood. Leaping to get to the ball, Hopwood got a header off, but his shot went wide of the net.

Hopwood also had the team’s best chance at scoring in the first half. The Canalmen took advantage of a lazy clear and Hopwood got off two shots, but the EB goalie lunging stops to keep BHS off the board.

In a tough 3-2 loss over the weekend to Upper Cape Tech the Bourne boys did have some highlights. The biggest notable moments were a couple of first varsity goals for young Canalmen.

Junior Alex Fasoli scored his first varsity goal. That was followed up by the initial marker in the career of freshman Joziah DeSouza.

Upper Cape Tech broke a 2-2 tie by scoring late in the game to take the victory, dropping UCT to 1-1 overall for the season.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.