Take To The Net

Bourne High School forward Chris Klueber gets around his man and gets to the Old Rochester net for a shot on goal during Sunday night’s game at Gallo Ice Arena.

Bourne High returned to the ice for the second time since a long layoff on Wednesday night, January 12, this time with a trip to Martha’s Vineyard. Just like the previous game the Canalmen played well, had a lead and couldn’t hold on as they suffered their second straight heartbreaker.

Martha’s Vineyard rallied for two third-period goals to down the Canalmen by a 4-3 score on the island. BHS fell to 2-4 overall on the season with the loss.

“We had to deal with a lot of in-game adversity, guys going in and out. We battled hard, and it was a gritty performance with a lot of good things,” Head Coach Frank Carpenito said. “We are learning to compete on every shift and had a lot of chances. A lot of guys stepped up and made the most of their chances.”

Not much happened in the first period until everything happened in the last few minutes. With most of the period being scoreless, MV scored at the 12:33 mark to take the initial lead in the game. Bourne rolled right back to tie the score just 21 seconds later on a goal from Chris Klueber, but then the Vineyarders got a dagger with just seven seconds to go in the period to take a 2-1 lead into the locker room.

In the second period it was all Bourne. The Canalmen came back from the deficit to tie it at 5:24 as Dom Bonito scored a goal from Ty Kelley and Dana Leach. Two minutes later BHS went up by a 3-2 score on a big goal from Kelley, who was set up by Bonito.

On their home ice the Vineyarders owned the third and came up big. With two mid-period goals they were able to get the lead and held on from there despite Bourne’s best efforts to knot it back up.

BHS is back at it tomorrow night. The team travels to Hetland Arena to face Bishop Stang at 7:30 PM.

Old Rochester 4, Bourne 3

The Bourne High School boys’ hockey team returned to the ice after not having any available opponents for over two weeks and nearly pulled out an impressive game against a good Old Rochester team. In a game that was never more than a one-goal lead for either side, Old Rochester scored the winner in the third period to take a 4-3 contest over the Canalmen at Gallo Ice Arena on Sunday, January 9.

“I don’t know if the layoff hurt us. I don’t know if it’s so much the legs as the mental part of it where you’re not used to grinding it out, you’ve kind of lost that mental groove of playing in games. I thought we did a great job in the beginning of the game...but there’s a lot of things we can build upon,” Coach Frank Carpenito said.

Early on goalie Paul Case came up with some fantastic stops to keep the Canalmen in the game as the Bulldogs got to the net and used their speed to make life difficult for the home team. Once BHS settled in, and shook a little of the rust off, they not only played with ORR, but took the lead twice in the game.

Bourne was on the scoreboard first, putting one in at 7:50 of the first for a power play goal. Tyler Evans set the ice-breaker by spinning the puck around the back of the net for Ty Kelley, who was attempting to fire for the far post, but his shot hit a skate on the way to the net and trickled through the goalie’s pads to make it 1-0.

BHS had a chance to double up the lead in the second period, but allowed a shorthanded goal on its power play chance as Cliff Hedges flew to the net on a break and beat Case.

Each team scored a goal in the final minute of the second period. ORR went up 2-1, briefly, on a power play goal from Cale Bousquet that was labeled to the high stick side. That goal came with just 41 seconds to go in the period. Bourne got it back at 14:55 on a superior 2-on-1 break up the ice that saw Kelley set up Evans, giving BHS a big boost as they headed to the locker rooms.

That goal seemed to give BHS some energy, and the team scored to take the lead at 4:01 of the third as Evans got his second of the night on a pass from Chris Klueber. Old Rochester scored just eight seconds later to tie it again, at 3-3. They then were able to get the go-ahead goal off a rebound at 8:19.

In the waning moments the Canalmen were able to get the goalie out for an extra attacker and pressed ORR. The best chance for the team came with two seconds to go on a shot from high in the zone by Klueber that was redirected to the net by Michael Russo. The shot hit the goalie’s leg pads and rolled through the crease just before the horn sounded.

“We’re still young, we’re still small, we’re still learning. We had a couple of breakdowns and they scored off of those. It comes down to grinding out every shift, and we’re still learning to do that,” Carpenito said.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.