Since Monday, June 22, eight people on Cape Cod have tested positive for COVID-19.
As of Wednesday, June 24, the number of positive cases in the region is 1,525 since the beginning of the outbreak. Two people have died from the illness since Monday, which brings the Barnstable County total to 140 people.
There are four COVID-19 patients at Cape Cod Hospital and four at Falmouth Hospital. One of Falmouth's patients is in intensive care.
Bourne has had a total of 154 cases with a positive test rate of 8.46 percent; Falmouth has had 201 cases, at 5.74 percent; Mashpee has had 63 cases, at 4.21 percent; and Sandwich has had 94 cases at 6.54 percent.
There are now two drive-through test sites on Cape Cod with the opening of a site at Falmouth Hospital that will provide testing 20 hours each week. The other site is located on the West Barnstable campus of Cape Cod Community College and is open 40 hours per week. The Mid-Cape site will be moving to Cape Cod Healthcare's Hyannis campus in the coming weeks.
At a news conference on Tuesday, June 23, Governor Charles D. Baker Jr. said the results of testing done across 52 pop-up sites last week for people who had attended large gatherings have come back. More than 17,000 people were tested, and 2.5 percent of the tests were positive.
"We're pleased to see the percentage of tests quite low," the governor said.
Gov. Baker said the vast majority of people he had seen at recent protests were wearing masks and were moving around instead of standing still, which he felt helped keep the percentage low.
The governor is expected to address concerns over increased summer traffic on Cape Cod as well as plans for schools in the fall at some point this week.