Governor Charles D. Baker Jr. has extended the closure guidelines for Massachusetts through Monday, May 18.
The governor made the announcement at a news conference on Tuesday, April 28. The new guidelines include extending the stay-at-home advisory, the ban on large social gatherings and the closure of nonessential businesses.
He said the state's numbers for new cases of coronavirus and hospitalization rates have been at a plateau for 13 days. There has been no indication of a decline at this point, he said.
In order to safely facilitate reopening the state, the governor has formed an advisory board headed by Lieutenant Governor Karyn Polito and Economic Development Secretary Mike Kennealy. The board will also include members of the business community, public health officials and representatives from municipal government.
Gov. Baker has asked the board to have a plan in place by May 18 that outlines a phased plan to reopen the state safely so that the risk of a resurgence of the virus can be minimized.
Earlier this month Gov. Baker announced that school buildings across the state will remain closed through the end of the current school year and that nonessential childcare providers will stay closed through Monday, June 29.