75 Years Ago

July 14, 1944

Waste paper will be collected once a month in a house-to-house canvass throughout Falmouth, beginning Sunday, July 30. The last Sunday of the month is to be regular paper collection day in town. James McInnis, war salvage chairman, hopes that householders and merchants will do such a cleaning-out job that on August 1 there will be no scrap of paper left in Falmouth.

* * *

To pride of owners in their new bath houses on Surf Drive beach there yesterday must have been added a new emotion as they opened and read a communication from Harold C. Randall, Falmouth building inspector. Mr. Randall wrote to each owner of a new bath house to assert he had built without a permit from the building inspector or appeals board.

* * *

“I’ve just had a bath in my helmet,” Cpl. Cotter Peck wrote his mother, Mrs. Ruth Peck, on June 22 from Normandy, France. “It takes about an hour and a half to get a good bath in that much water. If I ever see a bathtub full of water again I’ll probably drown.” Cpl. Peck, who is with a port battalion, had been living in a Normandy field since he reached France.

* * *

Additional restrictions on operation of pleasure craft in neighboring waters have been ordered by the Coast Guard. In previous war summers pleasure craft have been permitted to visit the Elizabeth islands and the Vineyard. Under new restrictions these excursions, usually to Tarpaulin cove on Naushon or to Menemsha bight on the Vineyard, are barred. Also closed are the Weepecket islands in Buzzards Bay although they were in restricted zone last season.

Pleasure craft under the new rules have greater freedom in Nantucket sound. Only a general permit is required In the Nantucket Sound area which is bounded on the west by a line drawn due north from West Chop to a point just east of the entrance to Falmouth harbor.

60 Years Ago

July 10, 1959

Let the shellfish warden explain. Signs along the west shore of the point at Seacoast Shores, saying “Contaminated Shellfish-No Shellfishing”, do not mean the water is contaminated. It doubtless would be difficult to find purer salt water than the tide brings up past the point. What the signs read is exactly what they say, the shellfish in this area are contaminated. The shellfish were dredged from contaminated waters in other parts of town and deposited here so that, in course of time, the pure salt water will effect a cleansing and the shellfish may be harvested.

* * *

Winthrop B. Lumbert this week began applying white paint to the locust fence around the Village Green.

Whether to paint the fence or leave it to weather was an issue three years ago when Falmouth Village Improvement association had the fence built. Sentiment was divided, even within the association. Townspeople outside the association suggested they should have a say, since cost of keeping the paint up will fall on everyone.

40 Years Ago

July 10, 1979

The problem arising from a shortage of mooring space in Falmouth harbor is dissipating, according to Harbor Master Henry E. Madden.

Mr. Madden said that since the middle of May, he has told 130 to 140 yachtsmen that there is mooring space available for them. To date, 60 to 70 people have set new moorings and paid the necessary fees, he said.

* * *

A cabin cruiser bumped another craft, a 48-foot Grand Banks trawler, while trying to leave her slip in Falmouth inner harbor around 11 o’clock Saturday night.

The trawler, it turned out, is owned by F. Lee Bailey, who was on her at the time.

July 13, 1979

While Mashpee selectmen and a lot of other people in Mashpee are hoping for a quick, quiet end to the three-year-old Indian land claim suit, the tribal council’s lawyer was in Maine, preparing a writ of certiorari, filed today for the United Sates Supreme Court, and predicting the litigation will continue for years.

* * *

It wasn’t a whale, it was a rock.

“When waves hit it right, it looked like a floundering whale,” said David F. Cusolito, assistant Falmouth conservation officer. Mr. Cusolito and Russ C. Johnson, another assistant conservation officer, were called to Back Beach in West Falmouth at about 11:30 AM, Friday, to investigate a reported whale in distress. They found an exceptionally low tide and a fifteen-foot orange-brown rock.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.