T.J. Max Bush Fire

Firefighters from West Barnstable douse a mulch fire in front of TJ Maxx. Falmouth firefighters were busy last Friday afternoon; they were fighting a fire in Waquoit.

Friday, April 23

3:58 AM: A woman on Deepwood Drive reported she was “jabbed by a needle” and her arm was numb. She told officers it occurred at a Rhode Island casino. Officers believed she was intoxicated and suffering from a mental health episode. She was transported to Falmouth Hospital by ambulance and later began incessantly calling 911 from the hospital until her father was contacted on her behalf and he picked her up.

12:16 PM: Officers responded to an apartment complex owned by Falmouth Housing Corporation for a report of a resident outside without clothes on. When officers found the woman, she was appropriately dressed. She explained that she got locked out without pants, and a neighbor let her borrow a pair. A facility maintenance person let her back into her apartment. An official from the Falmouth Housing Corporation told officers that the resident was hoarding and living in filthy conditions and that a hazmat team had to clear out the apartment a month ago. Officers went inside the apartment and found it to be filthy. Officials from the health and human resources departments responded as well. The resident was committed and transported to the emergency room. Another hazmat team was also requested.

3:09 PM: Several officers assisted with traffic control and an arson investigator assisted with the investigation of a fire at a Waquoit home.

4:42 PM: Two officers responded to a fire at the Falmouth Mall in front of TJ Maxx. There were no fire department units available due to a house fire. Officers extinguished the fire with their fire extinguishers. Eventually, mutual aid from the West Barnstable Fire Department arrived and put water on the hotspots.

Saturday, April 24

12:56 AM: Officers were dispatched to the area of Goeletta Drive for two separate callers reporting gunshots. While in the area, officers could hear what sounded like gunshots. Officers checked for any further sign of activity. No further activity was heard or reported.

1:19 PM: Officers responded to an Oyster Pond Road address for a report of a tree that fell over utility wires. A resident had cut down a dead tree that fell in an unexpected direction, taking down electric and cable wires that attached to the neighbor’s house. Eversource and Comcast both responded to reattach the wires.

7:22 PM: A caller on Homestead Lane reported an intoxicated man going door to door attempting to sell cocaine. An officer found the man and determined he was intoxicated and placed him in protective custody. While at the station he contacted Gosnold Treatment Center and was admitted into treatment.

8:33 PM: Officers were dispatched to the area of Old Barnstable Road and Backus River Road for an unresponsive man who was found partially in a vehicle and partially in the road. Police transported him to the hospital for a possible overdose. They transported another man who was possibly involved to an address on Jamie Lane. The incident remains under investigation.

10:23 PM: Officers were dispatched to an address on Jamie Lane for an abandoned 911 call. Once on scene, officers were redirected by the resident to a neighbor’s address. Officers then encountered the man they transported there earlier. He was placed into protective custody and transported to the police station, where he was processed.

9:04 PM: Officers took into custody James John Pierson, 52, after they were dispatched to a home on North Falmouth Highway for a report of a disturbance. Mr. Pierson was found in the home, and it was discovered that he also had an outstanding parole arrest warrant. Parole officers took him into custody.

Sunday, April 25

1 AM: Police and rescue personnel responded to a home for a 19-year-old man who was unresponsive after drinking too much alcohol. He was transported to the hospital.

6:14 PM: Anthony P. Croce, age 82, was placed under arrest without incident and charged with OUI-liquor, negligent operation, and marked lanes violation. He was released on personal recognizance. Police were notified after Mr. Croce crashed his car in a yard on Trotting Park Road.

Monday, April 26

12:36 AM: A store clerk reported that an irrational man was lingering inside the store. The officers asked him to leave and he agreed. The clerk declined to issue a no trespass order.

12:22 PM: Officers were dispatched to a Davedon Drive home for a report of a deceased person. Medics were on scene when officers arrived and pronounced the individual dead. It is under investigation. At this time, the death does not appear suspicious.

8:07 PM: Police charged Maura O’Malley, 52, of East Falmouth with OUI-liquor, negligent operation, failure to stop for police, and a marked lanes violation. She was released on personal recognizance. Police saw Ms. O’Malley driving on the side of Sandwich Road. Initially she failed to stop with the patrol car’s emergency lights and siren on. When she finally pulled over, she failed the field sobriety tests.

9:59 PM: Police arrested David L. Hinds, 65, of Mashpee and charged him with OUI-liquor, negligent operation, an open container of alcohol violation and a marked lanes violation. An officer observed his vehicle cross the center line multiple times, pulled him over, and determined he was under the influence of alcohol.

Tuesday, April 27

12:49 PM: Officers responded to Falmouth Hospital and served an involuntary committal for substance abuse warrant of apprehension. The patient was transported to Falmouth District Court for an evaluation.

Wednesday, April 28

12:05 PM: Officers were dispatched to the East Falmouth Elementary School for a report of an impaired woman attempting to pick up a child. The woman fled before police arrived. The grandparents picked up the child and the child was safe. The woman turned out to be a babysitter. Mashpee police checked the woman’s residence, but she was not located. A bulletin was put out to surrounding towns to check her welfare if located. DCF was notified.

6:50 PM: Officers were dispatched to the Gosnold Treatment Center for a report of an intoxicated man with allergies they were unable to treat. The caller reported that the man was being verbally abusive to staff and requested police. Officers brought him to the hospital for alcohol addiction treatment.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.