The Falmouth Fire and Rescue Department extinguished a fire in a dune Wednesday night, January 18, off Chapoquoit Road.
Fire personnel and three fire trucks arrived at 140 Chapoquoit Road at 8:22 PM and began putting out the fire. Because of the high winds, the one-acre area of flames near the public beach parking lot was spreading north and was within four or five feet of the Bowerman’s Beach Club structure, Falmouth Deputy Fire Chief Scott Thrasher said.
The fire was under control by 8:37 PM. There was no damage to the building, the deputy chief said.
The department received reports of fireworks being set off in the area earlier that evening, but did not find any evidence to confirm that was the cause of the blaze.
Police shut down the road while crews worked the flames.
“Thankfully it was brought under control quickly because high winds and dry beach grass is a bad combination,” the deputy chief said.