Police are investigating a report of an attempted abduction of a woman that allegedly occurred in North Falmouth just before 10 PM on Sunday near the intersection of Old Main and County roads.
Falmouth Police Lieutenant Douglas DeCosta said the victim, who is 31, is from Falmouth. It is the third report of an attempted abduction this summer.
Bourne police contacted the Falmouth Police Department on Sunday, July 11, and said they were with a woman at a Cataumet residence. The victim reported that someone possibly tried to abduct her while she was at a North Falmouth convenience store.
Police issued a bulletin to area law enforcement agencies with the registration plate and a vehicle description of the suspect that the woman gave them.
Sandwich police checked the registered owner’s address in their town. Neither the male suspect nor the vehicle were located, police said.
Police are investigating the incident, including whether the event was an attempted abduction or a misunderstanding, Lt. DeCosta said.
Two other women in Falmouth went to police after being victims of attempted abductions. The separate events occurred on May 22 and June 11. At the present time, police are not aware of any connection between the recent incident and the other attempted abductions.
At 10:36 PM on June 11, a 16-year-old girl was walking home from work along Shore Street when a black SUV began following her and the man in the vehicle asked if she wanted a ride home. After she declined, the man exited the SUV and attempted to pull her toward his SUV. She was able to break free and run home, police said. The victim gave police a description of the man and the vehicle.
Three weeks earlier, on May 22, a 23-year-old woman called to report that a man chased her to her home on Clinton Avenue at around 3 AM. He was described as a white man with a dark hoodie. A canine team and officers checked the area but the suspect had already fled, the lieutenant said.
“These incidents are still part of an active investigation,” Lt. DeCosta said.