Fire officials on Tuesday, May 5, said smoking caused a house fire that resulted in the death of an elderly woman in North Falmouth.
Firefighters pulled Beverly J. Marshall, 82, from the blaze at 1 Crystal Spring Lane on April 25. She was flown to a Boston hospital with serious injuries. She died from the injuries three days later.
State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey identified the cause of the fire in a statement released by the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services on Tuesday morning, May 5. According to the statement, investigators determined that the victim’s clothing ignited while she was smoking in the bathroom. She alerted another resident, who was injured trying to help put out the flames.
Two other residents of the home were treated for injuries sustained in the fire.
One firefighter suffered minor injuries while battling the flames. The fire started at about 11:30 AM. Damages are estimated at $150,000.