Large Format Layup

A wide-angle view of action under the basket during Falmouth High School’s victory over Nauset High School on Sunday at the Antonucci Field House. On this play Julian Hendricks scored a put-back layup for Falmouth.

On paper, the Falmouth High School boys’ basketball team was not supposed to defeat Martha’s Vineyard on Tuesday, February 16. The Vineyarders came to town with some swagger, and were going against a Clippers team that was forced to go without senior guard Timmy Lang after the sharpshooter turned an ankle in practice the day before.

Despite having the odds against them, the Clippers came up with a gutsy effort against the Vineyarders and pulled out an impressive come-from-behind victory, rallying from 10 points down at halftime to win, 43-41.

“After the game I just told them how proud of them I was,” head coach Paul Lundberg said. “One of the referees came and said after the game, ‘Your kids play so hard,’ and that’s what it is. They left it all on the floor.”

Falmouth improved to 8-4 on the season.

Trailing by a 24-14 score at halftime, Falmouth slowly clawed its way back into the game, led by senior Taylor Frye and freshman Jack Watson, who had his best game to date. Frye scored 15 to lead the way, and Watson set a high water mark for his career—so far—with 12.

Having gotten all the way back to within a bucket late in the game, Frye hit both ends of a one-and-one to tie the score at 39-39, but MV reclaimed the lead with a basket on the other end. Falmouth then got the game even again when Frye canned a jump shot with 80 seconds left on the clock.

After getting a defensive stop, the play of the game put Falmouth ahead. Watson was able to spot Frye cutting to the hoop and sent a pretty lob pass for the cutter. Frye went into the air, grabbed the ball and tossed in a reverse layup before landing to give the Clippers the lead with 30 ticks left on the clock. From that point FHS was able to keep MV from scoring with tough defense.

Mike Rose had a nice game for FHS. He had a key 3 and also came away with a clutch steal late in the game. Sam Cavossa gave FHS a lot of toughness down low, matching up against players with several inches on him. He played the last minute of the game missing a tooth that was knocked out during a scrum underneath.

Falmouth 48, Nauset 45

Sometimes you’ve got to win ugly, and Falmouth was able to pull out a less-than-pretty victory on Valentine’s Day at the Antonucci Field House. FHS came up with big plays late in the game, then hung on for dear life over the final two minutes to secure a three-point win.

Falmouth appeared to be pulling away when a quick spurt of six points pushed its lead to its largest margin of the game, at seven, with 2:19 remaining. After Nauset missed a free throw that would have tied the score at 40, Falmouth got a big turnaround jumper from the day’s leading scorer, Gerald Mahoney, with 3:30 to go. Mahoney was fed by Julian Hendricks, spun to his right and knocked it down. FHS then drew a charge on the defensive end before a quick sequence that saw Taylor Frye shine for FHS.

Frye scored on a finger roll to make it a five-point game before Mahoney stole the ball on the defensive end then heaved it ahead for Frye, who scored in transition. That bucket put Falmouth up, 46-39, and it looked as if the game was in control.

Nauset fought back, though. The Warriors called timeout and then fed the ball inside for Seth Asiimwe, who laid it in. FHS was then called for a turnover, and Nauset took advantage, using that extra possession to get the ball in low to Keleb Daniels for a layup. A bad pass by FHS was then stolen by Asiimwe, who found Daniels for an easy bucket and just like that, Falmouth’s lead was down to 46-45 with 55 seconds left.

Falmouth’s next possession was executed well; the Clippers got the shot they wanted, a jumper from Mahoney, but it was off the mark. The Warriors then missed a 3, got the rebound and drew a foul on FHS. With 13 seconds to play, Asiimwe tried to drive hard through the lane but he was met by Cavossa, who took the charge to turn the ball over to FHS.

Timmy Lang then went to the line for a one-and-one, and the senior delivered. Lang, who scored 10 in the game, hit both freebies to make it a three-point spread.

Nauset attempted to get the game into overtime with a 3-pointer at the buzzer. Jeffrey McCarthy got a good look from the wing, but his shot was long, and FHS secured the win.

Mahoney’s 18 led the way for FHS, with Frye hitting for 13 and Lang scoring 10. Julian Hendricks had five points, but made a bigger contribution with his defense and hustle. Daniels led Nauset with 15 points, with seven coming in the first quarter.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.