After allowing a two-touchdown lead to slip away against Dennis-Yarmouth the first time around, the Falmouth High School football team was able to make amends the second time against the Dolphins. Falmouth jumped out to a big lead again and this time held on for dear life, scoring a 28-25 win in South Dennis last Friday, April 9, to improve to 2-1 overall on the season.

FHS looks to make it three in a row on Saturday, April 17, with a noon game against Nauset.

It was a huge day for several Clippers, but none more so than senior Taylor Frye. The two-way starter made big plays in every facet of the game: on offense, defense and special teams. Frye had two interceptions on defense, made a 21-yard catch, and made a big kickoff return to set up a touchdown.

With FHS trailing early on, Frye came up with two big plays that led to back-to-back Falmouth touchdowns, which gave the squad the lead for good.

Trailing 6-0, Falmouth went up 7-6 early in the second quarter on a four-yard TD run by Michael Rose that went straight up the middle. The run by the senior quarterback capped a short drive that saw the Clippers start with great field position at D-Y’s 23, thanks to an interception by Frye. The senior DB pulled in front of a D-Y receiver in zone coverage and easily snared a ball that Henry Machnik seemed to throw right to the Clipper at the 50. He hustled 27 yards on the return to give his team great field position. FHS needed just five plays to punch it in from there, keeping the ball on the ground for all five plays.

On D-Y’s next possession Frye did it again. This time the senior timed his break on the ball perfectly to step in front of a Machnik pass and intercept it at the Clippers’ own 30-yard line. He ran it all the way back to the D-Y 23. Julian Hendricks took a reverse down to the D-Y 2-yard line, and fullback Michael Rose powered the ball in from there. Gerald Mahoney’s PAT had FHS ahead 14-6 with 6:30 left in the first half.

Falmouth turned another takeaway into points before the end of the first half. A fumble recovery by the Clippers near midfield gave Falmouth just enough time to drive in for another score. Rose turned a broken play into a big scramble for a first and goal with just seconds left to play in the half; then Sam Cavossa took a handoff to the left and scored from the 4 to put Falmouth up by two TDs at the intermission. The kick by Gerald Mahoney made it 21-7.

D-Y cut the lead to 21-12 with a score early in the third quarter. Machnik ran the ball in from the 11 to finish off a 70-yard drive to start the second half. His conversion pass was off the mark.

FHS answered with another short field scoring drive that was set up by Frye. This time the senior fielded a kickoff at the 22-yard line and ran it back across midfield all the way down to the Dolphins’ 26. Four plays later Falmouth was back in the end zone as Rose hammered the ball in from 11 yards out on a keeper to make it 28-12 with 4:35 left in the third.

D-Y tried to make things interesting after that. The Dolphins were able to score two more TDs, both on short TD throws by Machnik. The last D-Y score came with 5:04 left in the game, and closed the gap to 28-25.

FHS then went about killing the clock. Coach Joe Morency made a gutsy call to go for it on fourth and two from the Falmouth 45 with about three minutes left. Rose rumbled straight ahead and was able to convert the first down to keep the drive alive and the ball away from the Dolphins. A big 18-yard run by Dre Cain Williams pushed Falmouth across the midfield down to the Dolphins’ 37 two plays later.

FHS eventually turned it over on downs with about a minute to go, but FHS finished it off with its fourth defensive takeaway of the game. A bad snap got over Machnik’s head, the Clippers recovered the ball deep in D-Y territory with 32 seconds left, and were then able to kneel it out to preserve the win.

D-Y scored first, just 7:00 into the contest, to finish off a 55-yard drive on its first possession of the day. Machnik threw a six-yard dart to the back of the end zone on a drag route with his target moving to the right corner for a 6-0 lead. The conversion pass failed. The score came on the heels of Falmouth’s first possession stalling just past midfield when a controversial spot of the ball on a fourth-and-five run by Rose was marked inches shy of the line despite its appearing that the FHS QB had reached the ball far enough to gain a new set of downs.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.