One Last Time

FHS senior Harry Hennessy attacks the Martha’s Vineyard net during Thursday's game in Falmouth. Hennessy was one of five Clippers playing in their final high school game.

The end-of-game celebration looked like the Falmouth High School boys’ lacrosse team had just done something big. They kind of did.

It took longer than the Clippers wanted, but the squad finally picked up their first win of the year Thursday afternoon, June 10, in their second-to-last game of the regular season. After dropping the first eight of the year, a few by just a goal or two, the Clippers put together a strong four-quarter effort to beat visiting Martha’s Vineyard 7-1 at the FHS All-Purpose Field.

FHS finishes the season at 1-8. They play Nantucket on Monday, at home, at 3:30 PM to wrap the season.

After giving up a goal just a few minutes into the contest, Falmouth pulled it together. The squad entered the first quarter break tied at 1-1, and then dominated from that point on.

Goals from Matt Shea, Harry Hennessy and Cole Gaudet in the second quarter gave the Clippers a 4-1 lead by the intermission. Shea scored on a break up the left wing that saw him sneak a shot inside the pipe. Hennessy broke his man down and scored from 10 yards out while on the move and Gaudet lined up a wicked sidewinder whistler from the edge of the box, on a man-up play, with 1:24 left to go in the half. Goalie CJ Ledwick (14 saves) then made a big save with four seconds to play in the half to preserve the three-goal cushion, attacking the shooter and meeting him at the edge of the crease for a leaping stick save.

In the third quarter, Falmouth put the game away with another three goals, all of which were scored over a span of 83 seconds. A fast break executed perfectly made it 5-1, as Kyle DeMello broke from the midfield and found Gaudet five yards from the net, who in turn scooped a feed to Aaron Schlezinger for the goal. Shea then popped in two more in a row, the first coming four minutes into the half with a great drive out of the left corner, and then 55 seconds later he skipped a drive through the goalie’s legs to make it 7-1.

Falmouth’s defense had a strong outing in front of Ledwick. Cooper Young was a presence all day, while Braeden Swain, DeMello and Jack Collins gave solid efforts.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.