Take The Shot

Falmouth High’s Taytum Cox eyes the Shrewsbury net during the second period of the Clippers’ home game at the Falmouth Ice Arena yesterday.

Playing without their top two centers Thursday, December 30,the Falmouth High School girls’ ice hockey team played a strong defensive game but could not produce much punch on offense in a 4-0 loss to visiting Shrewsbury High School at the Falmouth Ice Arena. The defeat was the second in a row for FHS, which is now 3-2 overall for the year.

With 100-point scorer Samantha McKenzie out of action with an illness and second line center Avery Johnsen suffering a broken wrist in a scrimmage the day before, the Clippers were left having to shake things up all over the ice. Junior Katie Shanahan shifted from her usual defense spot to center the first line, Casey Roth went from the third line to second in the middle and Haley Ferreira slid into the third line center spot.

Early on, it was very apparent that the Clippers were a bit out of sorts. Shrewsbury dominated puck possession over the course of the game, but especially in the first period when its players outshot Falmouth by a 16-1 margin. The visiting team finished the afternoon with a dominant 42-9 overall edge in that department.

Clippers’ goalie Lucy Armour did excellent work to keep the team in the game, but SHS scored to take the lead for good late in the first on a wrist shot off the right wing boards by forward Holly Catarius, whose shot spun by the keeper’s glove at 12:57 to break the ice. They added to the lead in the second period on a shot from the right point that took a funky bounce off of Armour’s stick. The goalie stuck her paddle out to deflect the oncoming puck and it hopped up and over her to give the Colonials a two-goal advantage at 4:02 of the frame.

FHS had just one shot on goal in the first period, on a chip off the left-wing boards by Taytum Cox. In the second period the team picked it up a bit early with a strong bid from Shanahan early in the period, but goalie Rissa Montoya kicked it aside.

A power play just seconds into the third period gave FHS a chance to make it interesting. Forward Abby McDonald stabbed a rebound in close that Montoya handled for what ended up being the best chance for the team in the final stanza. Shrewsbury effectively killed the rest of the penalty and then put the game out of reach just as it expired when Mia Ryder took the puck away on a forecheck and fired through the five-hole for a 3-0 lead at 2:23. The visitors added a goal at 6:50 on a beautifully executed crossing pass out of the corner to Paige Umile for a tip-in on the post.

FHS is back in action on Wednesday, January 5, when they will host the Cape Cod Furies at 5 PM at the Ice Arena.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.