In the last regular season game of the year, the Falmouth High School girls’ ice hockey team did what it has been doing all year long: Win.

The Clippers remained undefeated, improving to 11-0-1 in the Cape and Islands League and 12-0-1 overall, with a 4-0 win over the Cape Cod Furies at the Falmouth Ice Arena.

Ryann McDonald led the way for the Clippers. The leading scorer in the league added to her total with all four FHS goals. She scored the game’s first from the slot off a feed from her cousin, Abby McDonald, at the 3:18 mark of the first and then made it 2-0 with a shorthanded goal late in the period, at 1:13. On that play she earned a steal by forechecking at the CC blue line and then split two defenders before snapping one home to the glove side.

The third goal by McDonald, late in the second period, was a perfectly executed play by her entire line. A poke check in the neutral zone was taken by Taytum Cox, who broke up the middle. She moved the puck to Abby McDonald on the right, who waited before crossing it back to the middle for a trailing Ryann McDonald. She snapped it glove side for a 3-0 lead at 10:15. Another beautiful display of sharing the puck led to the Clippers’, and McDonald’s, fourth goal. With FHS on a five-on-three power play, Charlotte Davis sent it from the point to Sam McKenzie in the right circle. McKenzie fired a pass across the ice to McDonald at the edge of the left circle, and she one-timed it back to the far post at the 4:01 mark.

Goalie Lucy Armour pitched the shutout in the net for the Clippers. Armour was not tested often, but she stopped all 16 Furies shots that reached her. Ella Sieger, Ferreira, Davis and Katie Shanahan led the effort on the blue line.

Falmouth now awaits the seeding for the Cape and Islands League tournament. FHS will be the number one seed on the bracket.

Falmouth 6, Martha’s Vineyard 1

It took a while for the Falmouth High School girls’ ice hockey team to find its offensive rhythm on Wednesday, February 17, but once the Clippers got it going, they were able to run away with a win over Martha’s Vineyard. After a scoreless first period, Falmouth struck twice in the second period and added four in the third to beat MV by a 6-1 score.

With a five-on-three power play in the second period, Falmouth (10-0-1) struck just 21 seconds into the frame to go up by a 1-0 score. Abby McDonald got her first of two in the game, off a feed from Ryann McDonald to finally break the ice. Midway through the second the Clippers made it a two-goal lead as Jamie Roth finished off a play that was set up by Sam McKenzie and Katie Shanahan.

The third started just like the second, with Falmouth scoring quickly. Sam McKenzie scored her first of two to make it 3-0. Ella Sieger and Shanahan assisted on that one. Less than two minutes later Abby McDonald made it 4-0 with Ryann McDonald and Taytum Cox getting helpers. Ryann McDonald’s unassisted goal at 7:36 put the team up 5-0.

The Vineyard scored a minute later for their lone goal of the game against keeper Jayden Ghelfi. In the waning moments of the game McKenzie scored her second of the day, set up by Avery Johnsen.

Falmouth 2, Barnstable 2

No team that the Falmouth High School girls’ ice hockey team has faced has been able to beat them this year, but Barnstable has come close—twice. Playing at Kennedy Ice Arena at the Hyannis Youth and Community Center on Monday, the Lady Raiders rallied in the third period to tie up the Clippers and give FHS its first non-win of the season in a 2-2 draw.

Claire Hazard scored at the 5:06 mark of the third period to tie the score up. Neither team was able to get another one after that, though each had chances. Falmouth Head Coach Brian Ferreira said that scoring was a bugaboo all game long for his team. “It’s not like we didn’t have our chances,” he said. “We just can’t score right now. We’ve got to share the puck better.”

Barnstable accomplished its mission of keeping the top two scorers for FHS off the board. Ryann McDonald was held to just one assist in the game, and Sam McKenzie did not score.

Falmouth struck first at the 2:12 mark of the second period as Avery Johnsen snapped in a feed from Gabby Ferreira to break the ice. Falmouth did not get to enjoy its lead long, though. Barnstable got that one back 56 seconds later, knotting it up at 1-1 on a goal from Laura Cogsall on the power play.

A power play goal from Abby McDonald later in the second gave Falmouth a temporary lead. Ryann McDonald and Taytum Cox assisted on the strike from McDonald that made it a 2-1 game.

BHS got that one back in the third to secure the tie.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.