Connolly Gets To The Corner

Quarterback Kyle Connolly runs around the corner toward the end zone during a recent home game for the Clippers.

A couple of plays late in the first half helped swing a close game into a lopsided one, and things got worse from there for the Falmouth High School football team on Friday, September 27, in Marshfield.

Playing on a field that the Clippers have never won on, FHS ventured outside the Cape and Islands League to play against a Marshfield club that had been a league foe for more than a decade until this season. The Rams led from wire-to-wire and pulled away for good in the second quarter on their way to a 52-7 home win.

FHS fell to 2-2 overall, losing their second in a row. The defeat dropped the team into eighth place in the Division 5 south playoff race.

For most of the first half the Clippers were right there with Marshfield, but things got away from them late in the second quarter. Falmouth had its chances offensively, but three trips across midfield came up empty for Falmouth, with mistakes proving very costly.

Marshfield scored first late in the first quarter with 3:45 left to go. Taking over near midfield after an FHS punt, the Rams scored in short order as a big sweep went for 24-yards down to the one. A play later MHS scored to break the ice.

Falmouth responded with a solid drive of their own into Marshfield territory, but the Rams’ defensive line won when it needed to most. With FHS facing fourth and two from the Rams 30, MHS blew up the line of scrimmage and tackled Evan Isenhour in the backfield to turn the ball back over. The offense for MHS then marched 70 yards in short order, thanks to a 23-yard scamper and then a 43-yard delay by Ethan Cupples put the ball at the four. Cupples then barreled in down the middle to up the lead to 14-0.

The Falmouth offense had its best drive of the first half after going down by two TD’s. Kyle Connolly converted a third-and-one from the Rams’ 21 by charging ahead for 12-yards to put the ball inside the red zone. After moving the chains Falmouth again faced another big spot, with a fourth-and-five from the 14. This time things did not work out as well as Connolly overshot an open Cam Rowell coming across the middle on a post pattern.

The incompletion gave the ball back to Marshfield with 3:22 to play in the first half. Falmouth’s defense came up big, forcing a punt that gave them the ball back at their own 42 with a little more than two minutes left in the half. A huge mistake swung the game for good after that. Connolly misfired on a pitch for Marvell Nicholson and the ball got away. The Rams recovered it at the FHS 25 and two plays later Marshfield scored on a sweep to the left that gave the team a 22-0 halftime lead.

FHS again almost put up points before the half, but ran out of time with the ball at the MHS 19. A scramble by Connolly for 20-yards gave the visitors two shots at the end zone, from the 19, before halftime but the passes were both incomplete.

In the second half Marshfield scored the first time it touched the ball, pushing their lead to 29-0.

Falmouth’s only score of the game came right after that. A great job by the offensive line opened up a hole in the middle of the line for fullback Cam Rowell and the senior blasted through it, going 68-yards to the house for the touchdown.

Marshfield went on to tack on three more scores in the second half.

Falmouth is off this coming week. Following their bye they will be on the road at Dennis-Yarmouth on Friday, October 11, for a 6 PM kickoff.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.