The game could not have started out much better for the Falmouth High School boys’ soccer team on Tuesday, September 21, at the FHS All-Purpose Stadium. Within just seven minutes the Clippers owned a 2-0 lead on Nantucket it looked like it would be easy sailing for the Clippers.

It was the Whalers that had the enjoyable boat ride home, though.

Despite their quick start to the game, the Clippers watched as the Whalers rallied back and dominated the final 73 minutes to win by a 5-3 score in Falmouth. The loss dropped the Clippers’ record to 1-3-1 overall on the season thus far.

“We got a little too comfortable and they went right through us,” Coach Dave Plourde said.

Early on it was all Clippers, thanks to a hot start from forward Ryan Simone. The team’s top scorer potted two goals in the first seven minutes to help the team get out front, putting home a shot in just 3:30 into the game before finishing a Caleb Souza corner kick in the seventh minute to double up the advantage.

Then things started to go south for FHS. In the 12th minute Gregario Yeson halved the Clippers lead, and David Lemus-Castro’s first of three goals knotted the score eight minutes later.

The true back-breaker seemed to come in the 39th minute when Nantucket was able to get another from Lemus-Castro just moments before the halftime horn, putting NHS on top 3-2 at the intermission. “He’s a handful,” Plourde said in regards to the high scoring Whaler.

A glimmer of hope returned for FHS in the second half, though. In the 63rd minute the Clippers were awarded a penalty kick, and Souza fired it on net. The Nantucket goalie made the initial save, but Souza smacked in his own carom to tie the score at 3-3 with just 22 minutes to play.

But, it was barely 22 seconds before Falmouth was playing from behind again. Right after the tying goal Nantucket got a strike from Alejandro Chacon to regain the lead. Five minutes later Lima Castro completed his hat trick to make it a two-goal lead for the visitors and that was that.

FHS was playing their second game in as many days against Nantucket. A day earlier they dropped a tough 2-0 decision to East Bridgewater on the road.

“We were the better team,” Plourde said. “We had our chances, a few scrambles early, but we couldn’t seem to score. We played really nice soccer.”

A penalty kick gave East Bridgewater a 1-0 lead and they got another in the second half to account for the final score.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.