Reservations are requested for most programs offered at Mashpee Senior Center unless indicated otherwise at the end of each description. More information is available by contacting Julie Silva, activity coordinator, at 508-539-1440, extension 3512.
Note: Mashpee Senior Center will be closed on Monday, April 15, for Patriots Day.
* * *
Spring Wreath Class
Give guests a warm welcome as they approach your front door. Join us for a fun, free craft class on Tuesday, April 16, at 1 PM. Attendees will make a beautiful spring wreath with yarn, tissue paper, and wooden clothespins. Supplies are included. Class size is limited. Sponsored by Cape Heritage Rehabilitation & Health Care Center. Register at 508-539-1440 or stop by the front desk to sign up. Limited to Mashpee seniors only.
Citizens Police Academy
Would you like to know more about the Mashpee Police Department? Join Mashpee Police Officer Joseph Catanese on Wednesday, April 17, at 10 AM. Officer Catanese will provide an overview for older adults of the MPD’s police procedures, investigations, and operations as well as an open discussion on common topics of interest to older adults. Come and learn more about what the Mashpee Police Department does for its community. Register by April 10 at 508-539-1440 or stop by the front desk to sign up.
Red Sox Party
Our Boys of Summer are back in Boston! Come join us on Wednesday, April 17, at noon for a start-of-the-season Red Sox party, complete with hotdogs, “get yer popcorn here,” and Red Sox trivia. Show your spirit and wear your Red Sox gear. Mashpee seniors only. Reserve a spot by calling 508-539-1440 or stop by the front desk to sign up.
Destination And Desserts: Discovering Croatia
Relax in our comfortable chairs and enjoy goodies, Thursday, April 18, at 10 AM as we travel during a video presentation from the majestic Slovenian Alps to the sweeping panoramas of Croatia’s Adriatic Coast. Register at 508-539-1440 or stop by the front desk to sign up.
Crafts With Karen
Come join us as Karen Thurber leads workshops for making beautiful crafts. She will provide the needed supplies. Come on in and create! There is a fee. If you choose to supply your own decorations, be aware that the fee will still be required for instruction. Make a reservation at 508-539-1440 or stop by the front desk to sign up. More information is available by contacting Julie Silva, activity coordinator, at 508-539-1440, extension 3512.
• Hanging Air Terrariums—Thursday, April 18, at 2 PM. The terrariums can be hung or placed on a vase filled with lights, sea glass, or shells of their own. The terrarium will include one air plant.
• Resin Picture Frames—Thursday, April 25, at 2 PM. Back by popular demand! Plus new frame: Show the sea glass pouring from a bottle. If you would like to bring your own sea glass, you may; however, Karen always has a supply of glass.
National Picnic Day Luncheon
“Hey, Boo Boo, let’s go get us a picnic basket!” Join us on Tuesday, April 23, at noon as we celebrate National Picnic Day (indoors). Luncheon starts at noon with games to follow. Due to space limitation, this is open to Mashpee seniors only. Register by calling 508-539-1440 or stop by the front desk to sign up. This activity is sponsored by Royal Health Group.
The Answer Is You
Join us on Thursday, April 25, at 1 PM as we welcome motivational speaker Magdalana Grace Siegel for a light-hearted and humorous session of “The Answer is You.” Well known among senior centers, Magdelana Grace has a unique way talking about aging issues. She will ask compelling questions, allowing you to gather insights about yourself along the way. Feel fully alive and not afraid to learn more about yourself. Join us as she inspires, entertains, and gives you the ability to grow and celebrate more in life. Register at 508-539-1440 or stop by the front desk to sign up.
The Visiting Nurse Association of Cape Cod will be hosting a free health fair at Mashpee Senior Center on Monday, April 29, from 10 AM to noon. During the event, VNA nurses and staff members will be providing free screenings, education materials, wellness services, and so much more: nutrition demonstrations and food samples; blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, and bone density screenings; falls prevention; aromatherapy; health and wellness materials; and giveaways. Join us for a fun-filled event. Reservations are not necessary. Drop in and meet us! Mashpee Human Services is sponsoring this event in collaboration with the Visiting Nurse Association of Cape Cod and the Mashpee Council on Aging.
Need help with prescription drug costs? Prescription Advantage may be your answer! By now, some of you may have reached or are getting close to the gap or “donut hole” with your Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (Part D). In 2019, you fall into the Medicare Part D gap when the negotiated retail cost of your medications reaches $3,820. Once in the gap you are now responsible for 25 percent of the negotiated retail cost for brand name medications and 37 percent for generics.
• Prescription Advantage, which is a state-run program, can assist you in this gap and/or put a cap on your out-of-pocket cost for medications. Eligibility is based on income only and there is no asset limit! If you are a Massachusetts resident and eligible for Medicare, the income limits are: Age 65 or older—$62,450 or less for a single person or $84,550 or less for a married couple; younger than age 65 and disabled—$23,481 or less for a single person or $31,791 or less for a married couple.
• There is no charge for joining Prescription Advantage if you have an annual income at or less than $37,470 for a single person or $50,730 for a married couple. However, there is a $200 per person annual enrollment fee for those with higher incomes.
• You may also join if you are 65 years or older and not eligible for Medicare. If you are not eligible for Medicare, Prescription Advantage will be your primary prescription drug plan and there is no income limit.
• Medicare also has a program called “Extra Help,” which can assist with the cost of your Medicare Part D plan’s premium, deductible, and co-pays. Call the senior center to make an appointment with a SHINE counselor for more information on these programs or assistance with any Medicare issue. Trained SHINE volunteers offer free, confidential counseling on all aspects of Medicare and related health insurance programs.
Call Mashpee Senior Center to schedule a SHINE (Serving the Health Insurance Needs of Everyone) appointment at 508-539-1440. For more information on these programs or assistance with any Medicare issue, the SHINE counselor is available twice a week at the Mashpee Senior Center. If you are a resident of a town other than Mashpee, call your town for SHINE locations/appointments. If you need immediate help or have an urgent question, contact Barnstable County Regional SHINE at 508-375-6762, 508-362-5885 TTY.