On Monday, December 21, at 11:21 AM, the Mashpee Fire Rescue Department responded to a report of a 1-year-old male child who had been burned.

Mashpee Fire Chief Thomas C. Rullo said the child had first- and second-degree burns over 9 percent of his body.

“For a 1-year-old, that’s pretty critical,” Chief Rullo said.

Rescuers transported the child to Cape Cod Hospital in an ambulance, managing the child’s pain en route, as the child was already blistered by the time the ambulance arrived at the scene.

The child had pulled on a hot pan that had just come off the stove and was filled with spaghetti or blueberry sauce, Chief Rullo said.

The pan’s contents spilled onto the child, causing burns mostly to his head, face and shoulders.

“Let’s just hope everything works out for the little guy. It brings a tear to your eyes,” Chief Rullo said.

The child will possibly be moved to the burn care unit at Shriners Hospital for Children in Boston.

Chief Rullo said accidents like this happen more frequently during the holidays.

“As a preventative message, if you are holiday cooking with your children around, you need to make sure things are out of their reach,” he said.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.