Mashpee did what it had to do up on the road at Weston on, September 24. Playing against a team that had suffered two disheartening blowout losses to open the season, the Falcons hung another rout on their hosts as they dominated in a 50-6 victory.

The duo of Aiden Cuozzo and Kayden Mitchell ran roughshod over the Wildcats, and Mashpee’s defense was in the backfield all night long as MHS improved to 2-1 overall. Defensively, Thomas Hogan and Tighe Ferzoco had first half sacks, and Brady Johnston had a nice interception to help Mashpee stop Weston’s spread attack. On offense, Johnston threw several nice deep balls to Danny Mitchell that went for touchdowns in the opening half, including one just seconds before the halftime horn that made it a three-possession game.

It was obvious out of the gate that Mashpee was too much for Weston. The home team’s third offensive play, after netting zero yards on their first two, went high over the quarterback’s head and was recovered by the Falcons’ defense at their opponent’s eight yard line. A five-yard run by Cuozzo broke the ice for Mashpee, and Johnston scored a conversion keeper to make it 8-0.

The teams exchanged punts on their respective next possessions. After Weston’s third straight fruitless time with the ball, Mashpee made something happen and doubled their lead to 16-0. Eaton converted a third-and-six with a run for 23 and on the next play Cuozzo broke one for 25 that went down to the five. Cuozzo ran in the ball on the next play for a score and Johnston hit Mitchell in the back of the end zone for the two to make it 16-0 on the last play of the first quarter.

Weston was able to put together a very nice drive early in the second quarter to give themselves some hope, finishing it off with a great slant pass to make it 16-6. The home then sent two straight kickoffs out of bounds, and on their third Johnston returned the ball across midfield to the Weston 44. Two plays later the Falcons were in the end zone again. Johnston’s play-action fake made the man covering Mitchell bite hard and the hesitation allowed the Mashpee receiver to run free up the right side. Johnston fluttered a perfect pass to the goal line for Mitchell that resulted in six more points. Eaton powered in the conversion to make it 24-6.

Weston’s hopes of hanging around were dashed when they got the ball back. The Falcons forced a three-and-out and then a wobbly punt rolled dead at midfield. MHS did not have much time to work with, but managed to score just before the half with some help coming from the home team as they were hit with a pass interference penalty on fourth-and-11 from the 34. The penalty put the ball at the 20 with about 20 seconds to go in the quarter and on the next play Mashpee scored again. Mitchell hauled in his second TD grab on the game as Johnston hit him six yards down the field on a quick slant that the senior tucked away and then cut back to the outside, winning a footrace to the pylon to give his team a 28-6 lead the intermission.

Mashpee dominated the second half and was never in any trouble.

The Falcons now will return home Friday, October 1 for a game against Nauset High School. The Eastham-based Warriors are 0-3 on the season and have been outscored by a cumulative count of 99-8, including a 38-0 loss at Nantucket last Friday. Mashpee beat the Whalers two weeks ago by a 28-6 score.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.