Senior Night did not start out very well for the Mashpee High School boys’ soccer team on Tuesday night, October 25, at Horne Stadium. Just 30 seconds into the game the Falcons found themselves playing from behind against Upper Cape Tech.

“They stepped off the bus and scored,” coach Ed Furtek said.

But on a night where the team honored its senior class and remembered recently deceased junior varsity coach Peter Langler, things quickly turned around for the home team. Mashpee (12-3-2) went on to score twice in each half and defeated the Rams by a sound 4-1 decision.

Chris Perrone tied the game for Mashpee in the 28th minute, which started the team’s bounce back. Ethan Barr set up the tying score for the Falcons. Then, five minutes later, Dylan Hutchenrider headed in a header by Austin Gray, off a corner kick by Ryan Boyd, which gave the Falcons a permanent lead. The goal was Hutchenrider’s first in a varsity uniform.

Mashpee got two more in the second half. Jack Daigneault pilfered the ball away from the Rams at the top of the box and took it straight to the net to score a big insurance goal. Capping off the festivities was senior Alex Storey collecting his first goal in a varsity uniform on a shot that was set up by Matt Baron. “That was great; the whole team was pumped,” Coach Furtek said.

Chris Hutchenrider had a strong outing in the net for the Falcons. Felipe Batista did a great job on defense.

Mashpee Versus Hull

On Monday, October 25, the wind was howling at Hull High School, blowing straight across the field in a way that helped neither club. It was cold as well, but the bus ride home was made more tolerable thanks to an exciting 2-1 victory by the Falcons.

Senior Gunnar Ahearn, who returned to the lineup for the first time this year just a week ago, scored both goals in the game for the Falcons. His first one came in the 20th minute on a through ball by Ryan Boyd that led Ahearn to the goal. He used perfect time to deke the keeper and slot the shot in for a 1-0 lead.

Mashpee held that lead for the next 52 minutes. Just eight minutes before the game’s end, though, the home team scored off a beautiful cross from left to right to knot the score.

Coach Furtek’s team did not go away concerned with what might have been, though. With just 75 seconds left in the game, Ahearn won a battle for a loose ball in front of the Pirates’ net and buried the winner.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.