Palhais Flies

Mashpee senior co-captain Gabe Palhais speeds up the wing against Carver High School. Carver scored a 3-1 win.

Simply put, the Mashpee High School boys’ soccer team did not play well against visiting Hull High on Wednesday, November 11, at Horne Stadium. While the score would imply that Mashpee was in the game against the Pirates, the visiting team took it to MHS for large stretches of its 2-1 loss in the penultimate game of the 2020 season. The loss eliminated Mashpee from the South Shore League tournament.

“Some nights you’re the windshield, and some nights you’re the bug,” Mashpee coach Ed Furtek said. “We were the bug tonight.”

Hull was able to outhustle and push around the Falcons for stretches, and that allowed it to get its first goal, which came on a redirect in front of the net early on. Jack Burke put home the cross from Hayden Anastos in the 10th minute of the contest to give his team the lead.

Mashpee got it back shortly after on a great play from Gabe Tellez, who crossed the ball for Gabe Perreira-DaSilva. Perreira-DeSilva beat his mark to the spot in front of the net and put home the cross.

Hull reclaimed the lead in the second quarter on a nice play by Anastos. The HHS forward was able to dribble his way around Luke Olson and pop the ball behind the goalie.

If not for Olson, the game would have gotten out of hand in the second half. The Mashpee goalie made a number of athletic saves, especially late in the third quarter when he strung together three that were big.

“Oh, he kept us in the game, that’s for sure,” Furtek said.

After falling behind the Falcons had one great chance to tie it up before halftime. Gabe Palhais hit a volley from 25 yards out on the right wing that was labeled for the top shelf, but hit the crossbar with authority, shaking the cage.

After that play it wasn’t until the late stages of the game that the Falcons played with much purpose. Perreira-DaSilva tried to push one past the goalie as he and Nolan Tiani entered into a footrace to see who would get there first. The Mashpee shooter won by an inch, but Tiani was able to get just enough to push the ball over the crossbar. For some reason the officials did not award Mashpee a corner kick on the play. Nick Almeida had a great attempt off a Tellez corner kick late, but it also went a little high.

Coach Furtek said that several of his players did bring what was needed. He singled out Ben Kennedy’s play as being especially strong in the back.

Mashpee will close its season with a friendly match on Tuesday, November 17, against Falmouth High School at home on Senior Night.

Carver 3, Mashpee 1

Coming out of quarantine, Mashpee did not play like a team that had not played a game in two weeks, but despite its strong effort it came up short in the first round of the South Shore League tournament, falling to the Crusaders on the road by a 3-1 score.

The game came down to a stretch late in the first half. After a goal from Codan Foley, on an absolute rope from 25 yards out gave the home team a 1-0 lead in the 18th minute, Mashpee came back to tie the game in the 31st minute.

The tying goal was the end result of some hard work by MHS that earned the team a penalty kick. Nick Almeida was taken down cutting to the net just a few feet from the goaltender and took the penalty kick for the Falcons. He slotted his shot past the goalie to tie the score.

Carver struck right back, though, to take the lead just before the halftime whistle. The home team was able to make a play to get the ball in close to the MHS goal and knocked it past Olson out of a scramble to go up by one.

CHS added another in the final moments of the game. Mashpee was pushing up its players in an effort to get the tying score and came close a few times, but a CHS counterattack iced the game for the home squad.

Furtek said his team played well, and that it came down to a few bad breaks. He liked the overall effort his club gave.

“Basically it was a 2-1 game, and they beat us 4-3 last time. I think the size of the field, and the fact that it was an artificial surface hurt us more than the layoff,” Furtek said. “Nobody was really hurting.”

Mashpee had chances to draw even before the dagger by the Crusaders. The best chance came in the 77th minute, when Otis Longman’s work up the wing earned the team a direct kick from 27 yards. Gabe Palhais took the kick and put it just a bit wide. Almeida had come close in the 73rd minute, but a nice save by the goaltender kept his team ahead.

“It’s tough because they scored in the last minute of each half basically, and other than that it’s a 1-1 game,” Furtek said. “The kids played well. They worked hard.”

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.