Almeida Lines One Up

Mashpee’s Nick Almeida lines up a penalty kick in the first half against Bourne High School on Friday afternoon in Mashpee.

Scoring first was at the top of the Mashpee High School boys’ soccer team’s to-do list as they took on Abington on Wednesday, September 18. Coach Ed Furtek believed that if the Falcons could make the Green Wave chase his squad that they’d be uncomfortable, and that the Falcons would gain confidence.

Over the first 20 minutes of the game the Falcons did everything they could offensively to put one in, and came close. Unfortunately the effort did not match the output.

Abington scored midway through the first and got another just before the half. With bookend goals in the second half they defeated the Falcons by a 4-0 score, dropping MHS to 0-4 for the season.

“We were all over them for that first 20 minutes. We were close, really close, but we were just snake-bitten,” coach Furtek said.

Nick Perrone’s superb cross early on for Aiden Smith was struck well, but Smith’s shot just missed the far corner. Gabe Perreira then hit a post a few minutes later and then a Nick Almeida to Kevan Blackwood opportunity had the team holding its collective heads and looking to the sky. “We just thought, ‘something has got to fall.’ We were so close,” Furtek said.

Something did, but it was for the other team. Abington got a nice run up the field that led to the game’s first goal and then got another just before intermission that all but sealed the deal.

MHS looks to get things headed in the right direction with a home game Saturday, September 21, at noon against Nantucket.

Carver 3, Mashpee 2

Mashpee dropped a back-and-forth contest to Carver on Monday, September 16, 3-2.

The Falcons played catch-up all afternoon long, and ran out of time in a well-played contest that saw their record fall to 0-3 overall. Down 1-0 in the first half, Gabe Perreira cashed in a penalty kick to even things up in the 15th minute.

In the second half Michael Sawicki scored twice for Carver High. The first one put them ahead, 2-1, but Mashpee fought back to tie the score on a goal from Gabe Pahlais, who drilled a kick from 25 yards away to knot the count. Unfortunately for the Falcons, Sawicki was awarded a penalty kick just two minutes after that and nailed it for a 3-2 lead.

Mashpee was unable to get another one in the game and dropped its third straight one-goal game. Will Baker was strong in net as he made his first start of the season between the pipes in the absence of the injured Luke Olson. Nate Ware, Noah Tellez and Dylan Barger played strongly as well.

Bourne 1, Mashpee 0

The celebration said it all.

Through four games the Bourne High boys’ soccer team had not scored a goal, and the pressure was building. Coach Andrew Arki’s team had played some strong soccer during their scoreless streak, which lasted about 345 minutes, but could not break the seal.

Finally, after coming painfully close a number of times earlier in the first half, the Canalmen secured their first goal of the season as Matt Ziehl finished off a flurry of BHS chances with a hard shot by the lunging Luke Olson. The goal stood up as the Canalmen posted their first win of the season with a hard-fought 1-0 victory against the Mashpee Falcons (0-2) in Mashpee.

BHS (1-2-2) celebrated Ziehl’s goal with zeal. The entire roster jumped for joy and howled.

“That was big,” Sohrob Nyman said after assisting on the goal. Ziehl had started the play with a shot on net, and then Nyman followed up with a blast that hit the crossbar. Ziehl got to the ball before Olson could recover and put it away.

The Falcons nearly came back to tie the score shortly after that when Nick Almeida was pulled down inside the box while trying to cut through traffic to get a shot off. Almeida was awarded a penalty kick and the opportunity to tie the score, but Shane Murray made the save of the day as he guessed correctly and went to his left to deflect the bid by Almeida. Murray allowed a rebound on the play, but Almeida’s rushed follow-up flew high and out of play and the Canalmen dodged a huge bullet.

Mashpee had another great opportunity in the 50th minute when Dylan Barger took a free kick from about 25 yards out. The shot by Barger was on line, but was ruled to have hit the crossbar. Mashpee argued that it had gone in, and later found video evidence that they were correct, but the referee’s ruling stood and the Falcons were left trailing despite Barger’s effort. The ball hit the inside support of the goal and immediately bounced out, fooling the referees.

“It’s a part of the game. I’d rather not have visually assisted refereeing go down to the high school level. You just have to deal with it. I’m sure it won’t be the last one... I don’t want to take anything away from Bourne. This hurts, but they beat us. You have to shake their hands and then look forward to getting them next time. It’s back to the drawing board, back to working hard.”

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.