A look back at stories that made headlines this week in The Sandwich Enterprise:

20 Years Ago...

Return To Normalcy At High School After Teen’s Arrest

With the arrest last week of a 16-year-old Sandwich High School sophomore accused of leaving the scrawled death threats on two school walls, normalcy has slowly returned to the campus. The police presence of as many as six officers has been reduced to none.

Attendance, which had fallen to 60 percent on Tuesday, May 4, is back up to an average of 94 percent. And 1999 graduating class members, whose festivities had been overshadowed by the incident, are busy once again, getting ready to toss their caps into the air.

High school Principal Russell B. Norton said yesterday that the restrictions put in place in the high school during the crisis will remain. They include locking all but two entrances to the school, locking all the doors at three o’clock, limiting the number of students leaving a room at any one time to two, and having teachers serve as hall monitors during classes.

10 Years Ago...

No School Field Use Fees... At Least For Now

After nearly a year of contentious meetings and deliberations, the school committee decided this week that they will not ask the town’s sports clubs to pay a field usage fee in the coming fiscal year.

The decision came during the school committee’s meeting Wednesday evening, during which another discussion of how much of a fee to assess and how to use that revenue ended in a deadlock.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.