During the week of September 1 through September 8, 2021, Sandwich police responded to a total of 180 calls including 13 ambulance assists and six car crashes. Officers made two arrests. Sandwich fire responded to a total of 121 calls, including one animal rescue and one gas leak. The following are excerpts from their logs.

Wednesday, September 1

The Sandwich Fire Department was called to a property adjacent to Graziella’s Artisan Pizza Co., located on Cotuit Road, after receiving reports of a gas smell at 9:30 AM. During the investigation, fire inspectors found one of the cooking units was left partially on and was emitting gas. The gas output was secured and the neighboring stores were vented.

* * *

While on patrol, police noticed a two-car crash near the intersection of Quaker Meetinghouse and Service roads at 3:15 PM. According to police, both vehicles had been traveling north on Quaker Meetinghouse Road when Christine Bittrich, 63, of Brewster slowed to turn onto the highway and was hit from behind by David Legacy, 65, of Sandwich. The vehicles were not towed and neither party was injured. No citations were issued but Mr. Legacy was found at fault, police said.

* * *

The Sandwich Fire Department responded to Manamock Circle at 6 PM for reports of a cat stuck in the ventilation ducts. The cat was safely removed and unharmed.

* * *

A 911 caller from Chase Road contacted police at 6:03 PM to report a young woman had come to her door and asked for help. Police could not locate the woman, who was reportedly driving a red Honda.

Thursday, September 2

Police responded to Route 6A, near A Village Florist, to assist the fire department at 5:14 AM after a resident reported a transformer had blown up and was smoldering. Several primary and secondary wires were down when fire officials arrived, said Deputy Chief Timothy McMahon.

* * *

A Quaker Meetinghouse Road resident contacted police at 8:14 AM to report a horse was loose on the road. When police arrived, the horse had returned home.

Friday, September 3

A 27-year-old South Yarmouth man was summoned to Barnstable District Court at 8:44 AM after police stopped him on Route 6A and found that he was operating an unregistered motor vehicle without a license.

Saturday, September 4

Massachusetts State Police requested assistance from Sandwich police at 8:36 AM for an assault that took place at Shawme-Crowell State Forest. State police handled the call and Sandwich police assisted.

Sunday, September 5

A Feake Avenue resident contacted police at 1:40 PM to report a neighbor had backed into her vehicle. The crash occurred when Paul Tyrell, 52, of Weymouth was backing out of his driveway and bumped Mary Callahan, 62, of Attleboro, police said.

* * *

Police were called to assist the fire department on Washington Circle at 3:06 PM for reports of a tree on fire outside Uncle Bob’s Storage. The tree was touching a primary electrical wire but had self-extinguished while waiting for the utility company, fire officials said. The tree was removed by the utility company.

* * *

A Route 130 resident contacted police at 3:42 PM to report a boating incident that occurred on Peters Pond earlier in the day. A group visiting from West Bridgewater reported they were on a boat when a 10-year-old girl was bumped by a jet ski while swimming nearby. The girl was not injured and the Environmental Police are investigating the incident

* * *

Marine Traffic Control contacted police from Freezer Road at 11:19 PM to request an officer’s assistance in speaking to a boat owner tied up illegally at Fisherman’s View. The boat owner was spoken to and they left.

Monday, September 6

Police were called to the intersection of Cotuit Road and Route 130 at 3:02 AM for reports of a dark SUV running at the stop sign. When officers arrived, they found the operator asleep behind the wheel. He told officers he had just completed a 20-hour motorcycle ride from Georgia to Massachusetts. No citations were issued.

Tuesday, September 7

A 911 caller contacted police at 9:58 AM from the Forestdale School to report a woman dropping off her kids was possibly intoxicated. Police determined she was not intoxicated after speaking with her.

* * *

A 53-year-old Taunton man was summoned to Barnstable District Court at 11:17 AM after causing guardrail damage near 200 Old County Road and leaving the scene. Police said the man, who was driving an uninsured and unregistered forklift on the main road, caused significant damage to 100-feet of heavy guardrail on the east shoulder of the roadway. Police observed the vehicle being driven near Jones Lane, about a half mile from the scene, and stopped it. The driver was charged with leaving the scene of property damage and operating an uninsured, unregistered motor vehicle.

* * *

Police responded to the intersection of Great Hill and Farmersville roads at 3:26 PM for reports of a two-car crash that occurred when Caren Caljouw, 66, of Oakham, allegedly rear ended Timothy Daley, 42, of Forestdale, who was stopped in traffic. No citations were issued and neither party was injured.

Wednesday, September 8

Police were called to High Efficiency on Route 130 at 7:45 AM after an employee was causing a disturbance over his last paycheck. The employee had quit but was gone before police arrived.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.