The Sandwich and West Barnstable fire departments responded to an East Sandwich cottage at 9:36 PM on Sunday, September 19, after a ceiling fan caught fire.

The owner of a cottage on Ploughed Neck Road told firefighters that he had just returned home and he heard popping noises coming from the bathroom fan so he called 911, reporting what he thought was an electrical issue, Deputy Fire Chief Timothy McMahon said.

During the investigation, firefighters found smoke in the ventilation system and confirmed the ceiling fan was to blame. 

The Sandwich Fire Department was on scene for an hour and was assisted by the Sandwich Police Department and the town electrical inspector.

There were no injuries. The incident is under investigation.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.