A traffic bottleneck. That’s what Falmouth’s Main Street had become by 1951, but city planner Sidney Shurcliff thought he had the perfect solution. The town needed a South Main Street, he told the Planning Board. His proposal was part of a Master Plan prepared for the town’s future development.
Shurcliff made a diagram that showed South Main in dotted lines to the left of Main Street. The 60-foot wide road was to be located a block south of Main Street, running from the Village Green to Heights Road. Construction of the new street would have required the removal of six small residences, two private garages, the former Red Men's hall and the St. Barnabas rectory. The Planning board liked Shurcliff’s idea. They asked the town meeting to vote $700 for a preliminary survey.